The name, 'Porth Teigr', evokes the spirit of Tiger Bay and pays homage to the history of the site and Cardiff's proud past as the busiest port in the world during the 19th century. It reflects the wider historical, geographic, language and cultural values of the site.
Situated in the Roath Basin area of Cardiff Bay, Porth Teigr is in the heart of Cardiff Docklands as it was once known. The historical background of Porth Teigr is steeped in the iron and coal mining heritage of the South Wales Valleys. As this industry rapidly expanded, a number of docks were constructed in the city's waterfront area during the 1800s, including Roath Basin in 1874.
The area became known as 'Tiger Bay' in reference to the clawing motion of the waves in the bay and the multicultural community of seafarers from around the world who settled and worked in the area. At this time, Cardiff was the busiest port in the world, and was even the setting for the world's first £1 million pound deal which was signed in the Coal Exchange building.
The docklands area fell into decline due to the decrease in demand for coal later on in the 1900s, and the area had become severely neglected by the 1980s. It wasn't until the late 1980s that plans started to gather speed to regenerate the docklands area into what is now known and recognised as Cardiff Bay.
The development of Porth Teigr is the final piece in Cardiff Bay's waterfront jigsaw and will complete its transformation into a 21st century environment.